Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mmm... Tomato Soup.

With the radio reporting a low -24ºC this morning, I made sure to grab a bowl of my homemade tomato soup to warm up at lunch today. A few weeks ago I scribbled down a couple of recipes, one being a tomato soup. I took my list to the grocery store and bought all of the items - then with the hustle and bustle of the holidays, I just managed to make it on Monday. But, I had lost the recipe. So somewhat following a separate recipe, I managed to throw together my purchased ingredients and ended up with a delicious concoction I will call Tomato Soup.


Pinterest - Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

2 heaping tbsp of butter (I used becel margarine)
3 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
1 medium onion
1 28 oz can of Aylmer crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can of Hunt's sweet onion chunky tomatoes
2 cups of chicken broth
1 1/2 cups of half & half cream
salt & pepper to taste (I used garlic salt)

Take a large pot, melt butter and sauté onion and garlic. When everything is soft, add both cans of tomato and warm - don't boil. Next blend the mixture (I don't have a blender so I used a hand mixer, it worked great because it left a few chunks of tomatoes and garlic). Next, add the chicken broth and boil. Add the half & half cream, salt & pepper and simmer on low for 30 minutes.

There you have it, the perfect solution to a cold winter's day. Now I'm not a chef by any means, but even my husband loved it and let me note, he hates Tomato soup! Mmm…. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment