Monday, January 7, 2013

Hungry for Change: A Resolution or Two


I don't really believe in New Year Resolutions. In fact, I think most statistics will tell you that more people fail than succeed at New Year Resolutions. Just because its 2013, doesn't mean I'm going to all of a sudden turn my life upside down. But, I do want to resolve to do a few things throughout the year. Some changes, some goals. They don't necessarily start today but are things I can work towards throughout the year... Things I can start tomorrow.


1. Hungry for Change

I watched this documentary the other day about the food we eat and how unhealthy it is for you. For some reason, I veered away from the natural eating path in the past few months, but I would like to get back to it again. If you haven't had a chance to watch this documentary - Hungry for Change - you should. It's on NetFlix right now and it pretty much sums up all of the added junk (especially processed sugar) in the food we eat and how it can be just as harmful and addicting as cocaine or heroine. I want to be realistic and make a long term change, not just attempt another diet. I want to try and eat more natural foods and cut out as much of the refined stuff as possible. I'm not going to lie though, if I want to treat myself, I will make it - this way I will know what is in it and it won't have a shelf life of six months!


2. Makeover Time

This year is going to be the year that martha.anne takes off. Okay... hopefully it is. I'm going to work really hard at making it happen (on the weekend I started creating another product for the Etsy Shoppe... so excited!!). Anyways, this year I need to sit down and rearrange the blog. I need to do a whole bunch of stuff that I won't bore you with. It's going to take some time and is my major goal for 2013.




3. Keep It Local & Handmade

I want to succeed so much at my business that I believe I should pay it forward in order for it to happen. I want to try my hardest to shop local (as long as it's feasible). More importantly though, I want to try and shop handmade. Being on Etsy I've seen lots of great gifts and other items that are inexpensive, more meaningful and absolutely lovable. In 2013, I'm going to try my hardest to give my business to the little guys. I now understand how important it is.


4. Pay It Forward

Finally, I want to spend 2013 paying it forward. I know when Monday rolls around I whine and complain that I'm spending another week in the cube. But let's face it, there are people out there wishing they had my opportunities - even if it is just being able to do the little things and not having to work weekends. The other day a friend posted a Creative Pay It Forward on Facebook (see below). I commented and copied it... hoping to do the same. I have already came up with some ideas for those who commented and can't wait to surprise them. It's the little things that make a difference for someone else. This year when Christmas rolled around, the hubby and I talked about paying off someone's layaway (someone with children) - hopefully this year will be the year we can do it.

2013 Creative Pay-It-Forward: The first five people to comment on this status will receive from me, sometime in this calendar year, a gift - perhaps a book, some homemade cookies, or a - a surprise! There will likely be no warning and it will happen whenever the mood strikes me. The catch? Those five people must make the same offer in their FB status.

Anyways, those are my hopes for 2013. Hopefully I can work a bit towards each and say I tried my best to make them happen. Now that I've shared mine, tell me, what's up for you this year?



4 comments:

  1. I wanted to say that I think your new year's goals are great! (And I am not commenting just for you to "pay it forward" to me. I don't even have FB!:) I will try to check out the Hungry for Change video this weekend.
    Just wanted to wish you good luck with your goals!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. I hope you find inspiration in the video as well. All the best for 2013 and your goals as well.

      Delete
  2. I have just started reading your blog from awhile back and I am really enjoying the progress you have made on your house. After I read this entry, I loved the idea of paying off a young family's layaway. So thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I'm almost scared to read back as I'd like to think my blogging style has became more interesting as I've gotten more comfortable... and well, the pictures are certainly not photographer material. :)

      Wouldn't it be great to help out a young family? I hope that someday, even if it isn't this year, I get to experience that feeling.

      Anyways, thanks for saying hi! Hopefully I'll have more pictures of our new house soon... and the never ending progress we seem to be making.

      Delete