Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Before and After | Nursery Wardrobe Makeover

Get ready for it... I'm pretty excited about this Ikea wardrobe. From the purchase, to stopping by and picking up some paint from The Sugar Post in Merrickville, ON, to putting it all together in place... Here's the before and after on one of my favorite projects to date!




Where to begin? We had the perfect little nook in our Nursery for a wardrobe and I knew exactly what I wanted. I searched Kijiji for a couple of months, but each one that was under $100 was always sold before I could snatch it up! Until, one day, it was like the heavens opened up and there it was. It's short too - perfect for our little guy. And even better, it came in at $60 dollars! I had already pinned the color I wanted and just had to find me some paint.




In my parts of town, milk paint isn't easy to come by. I thought I'd have to trek into the city to get some but something told me to Google it first. The hubs and I planned on spending a relaxing day shopping in the local towns, Merrickville especially - it's full of stores that a blogger would love. Okay any woman in their right mind would love this place. I searched up milk paint and there it was, The Sugar Post carrying Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint - sold! I dragged the husband out for the day and I fell in love.




The store was too cute! I will definitely have to do a blog post on it when I have a chance to go back and take some pictures of it's adorable setup. It's like a bloggers dream store - okay maybe like the store I could only hope of having one day. I'll definitely be going back for more.




As you can see, SNEAK PEAK.... the nursery is coming together. We picked up these cute little wooden figures from the local SuperStore. The painting is by my grandma. And, the iron owl was a gift we gave to my hubs' grandma in the past and she has downsized so we got to have it back!




Of course, the decor wouldn't be complete without a football and a little OshKosh stuffed bear. I can't wait to grab some newborn photos using these as props. 




Oh... I almost forgot. The hubs hates painting and let me tell you he loved using milk paint. We did two coats mixed evenly with water and a final with the paint watered down even more. I love the imperfections. We are supposed to put a final coat on it but I really don't want to. Oh ya, and the knobs were stolen from another dresser we recently did over. We changed the bottom drawer to only need one and these worked perfect. They were already distressed we just popped them on.




I can say I am in love. It's the perfect piece of furniture for the nursery - yes I will be sharing pics soon. Only a couple more details and the room will finally be done! Can't wait... the little guy is almost here. In the meantime, if you haven't already... you must go try using milk paint on something - you'll fall in love. Oh ya, and take a trip to Merrickville and stop by The Sugar Post - it's a must!







Party, party, party...

the crafty blog stalker | gingerly made | made in a day | kreative creations | wait 'til your father gets home | miss mustard seed | shaken together | whipperberry | nap time crafters | simply sweet home | perfectly imperfect | too much time on my hands | flamingo toes | momnivore's dilemma | i should be mopping the floor | sew can do | sumo's sweet stuff | diy show off | skip to my lou | uncommon designs | alderberry hill | nap-time creations | the blackberry vine | the winthrop chronicles | not just a housewife | homemade ginger | snap | lady behind the curtain | white lights on wednesday | pretty things | yesterday on tuesday | buns in my oven | sugar and dots | seven thirty three | kitchen meets girl |

I was featured!! Go check it out:

http://www.momnivores-dilemma.com/2013/11/our-sunday-best-link-party-features.html




8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you did such a fantastic job! And the decor! I love all of the personal touches, it truly makes a room. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with Milk Paint and for linking up to our little shop. I can't wait to see the completed Nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blue refinish. Your wardrobe looks like an IKEA side board I have, that I may need to refinish, now that I've seen your beauty! Pinned and new follow to your social media. Happy soon to be family:) I posted "DIY Ikea pumpkin pillow" and "gluten free is not a fad" to this week's parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to come check those out! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I just love before & afters and yours is great. Ikea is one of my favorite places. There's always something interesting there. Nice work on the refinishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely color and beautiful piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It looks adorable and works perfect in the space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That blue is so striking, and your $60 find fits perfectly in that alcove!

    Thanks for sharing at Our Sunday Best last week. We are featuring your wardrobe today and of course, sharing at our Pinterest board for the party...

    Thanks,
    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete