Monday, October 22, 2012

A Pin Attempt or Two - Steak, Crab and Soup!

Welcome back Monday! Last night I begged and pleaded to be a stay at home wife, but for some reason the hubby didn't think that was a great idea. Well, needless to say, I made it through the day today and, I have three posts in one tonight... a pin attempt, or two, and a quick recipe that I haven't made in a while, perfect for a quick dinner when you're not in the mood to cook.

First up....


Pin Attempt - Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

As I mentioned a few weeks back, I've really been trying my best to eat healthy and as natural as possible... without getting too bored. So, when I was craving a soup for my lunch this week, I thought this would be the perfect recipe, found on Pinterest and taken from manifest vegan.

manifest vegan.
 
Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup Recipe

1 Large Head of Cauliflower
Olive Oil for Drizzling
3 Medium to Large Sized Sweet Potatoes, Cut into 1" Cubes
1 Sweet Onion, Diced
2 Cloves of Garlic (I used 5!!)
7 Cups of Water

Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Cut the cauliflower into bit sized pieces, lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Put in the oven and let them roast until the tops are golden brown, but not mushy, roughly 20 to 30 minutes.

In the meantime, place sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and water in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Simmer continuously until the sweet potatoes are tender. Add in cauliflower, remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled, divide soup into two parts, blend one half and then add back to the soup. (Makes 9 servings.)

Easy, healthy and quick to do. But, not my favorite. For some reason I can't get past the texture and it keeps reminding me of baby food. Now, it does taste okay, just a little bland, but a little salt and pepper will fix that. And... I must admit, it smells really good. So, how about a six or seven out of ten. Hey, give it a try... it may be the perfect soup for you.


Pin Attempt - How to Cook Steaks on Your Stovetop...

off the (meat) hook.

... that tastes better than any fancy restaurant. Found on Pinterest and taken from off the (meat) hook. This recipe is easy to do and, trust me, makes the most delicious steak you've ever tasted. Okay a little salty, but I absolutely loved it and would trade in the BBQ any day for this recipe.

Best Stovetop Steak Recipe

All you need is a good cut of steak, coarse sea salt and your favorite steak spice.

About an hour before you're ready to cook the steak, remove them from the fridge and sprinkle both sides with coarse sea salt, I ended up using coarse salt (maybe that is why it was so salty?). When you're ready to cook, heat a pan as hot as you can get it on the stove, some people use a cast iron pan, I used a regular old non-stick. While the pan is getting super hot, rinse the steaks off and add the seasoning you want for your steak. Now, get ready to cook.

Take a pair of tongs and hold a steak with the fat strip down on the pan. Let the fat burn to release grease and brown. Then, take your steaks and put them in the pan... cook until the side browns, flip and continue until the other side browns. The trick here is that the steak will continue to cook after you remove it from the heat. Trust me, I only cooked them for about 3 or 4 minutes per side and they were medium-rare. The trick is to stop one temperature before the one your want, i.e. stop at rare if you want medium rare. Let your steak rest for 5 - 10 minutes and then be prepared for the best steak ever. Okay, if I don't make sense... go here, it explains it all! MMM... You can thank me later :o)


Perfect Weekday Menu - Easy Buttery Crab Pasta


This recipe is mine, all mine. I kind of threw this together a few years ago... made it all of the time and forgot all about it. The other day when we were grocery shopping, I saw some crab meat and thought yes, easy buttery crab pasta is easy and perfect for a work night meal. Here's the recipe:

Easy Buttery Crab Pasta Recipe

1 Package of Crab Meat
1/2 Package of No Yolk Whole Wheat Pasta
5 Tsp Buttery Becel (or Butter)
Garlic Salt for Flavor

Boil a pot of water and add pasta. In the meantime, put a teaspoon of Buttery Becel in a frying pan, melt and add crab meat. Warm crab through and cook pasta until desired tenderness. Drain noodles, divide into two dishes, add two teaspoons of butter to each dish and add crab to each. Sprinkle with garlic salt until desired flavor. (Makes 2 Servings)

Easy-peasy! It takes roughly 10 - 15 minutes and it's absolutely delicious. One of my favorite week-night meals.

Okay, enough from me for one night. I think I've made up for my lack of blogging lately. Here's to food, pinterest and a quick rest of the work week. :o) Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment