Friday, November 15, 2013

DIY | Fireplace Mantel

It's finally done! I've only been talking about it for the last year or so and here it is. Another DIY project... the fireplace mantel.




After finding it online over a year ago and putting it on my to build. pinterest board, it's finally here. At first it was on the hubby's to-do-list... but with just a week left until the baby shower, the brother-in-law came to the rescue.

You probably remember me talking about it (here and here). After searching for the original website it came from (Sweet Something Design), I found their plans on the fireplace facelift they did. Problem was, we didn't have an existing fireplace to cover up. So it was looking at those plans and this picture (oh I can only hope my Christmas mantel will look this good) that the BIL built my dream mantel.


sweet something design.


I'll try and explain as best as I can how he did it... really I'm not quite sure. But I have progress pics and he's available for hire (no lie.. just contact me for more info). So let's take a look and see what he did along the way.




First, him and the hubs cut a hole in the wall... it wasn't weight baring but I was still scared. Then he framed out the fireplace using 1x3s and 2x4s I believe... and then covered it all up with some MDF. The hubs made the grid at the top and then we painted it with like 5 coats of paint - pain in my butt!! But I guess you could say it was well worth it... and the dust we accumulated during the building phase!

Anyways, here's what it looks like today... all dolled up:









That's it! Another item off the list... the long long list. I can't wait to decorate it and share the pics with you for Christmas!!

Oh... did I mention that the hunny-do-list is only going to get longer? Yup, today was my last day of work and I'm off on maternity leave for a whole year! I think the hubs is slightly scared at the ripped apart rooms (or as I'd like to call them - projects) that he might come home to. I have so many ideas and I'm not afraid to test out his workshop. Anyways, that is it for now! Happy weekend everyone!







Join me at these parties:

i should be mopping the floor | sew can do | sumo's sweet stuff | all things fee | diy show off | uncommon designs | seven thirty three | buns in my oven | yesterday on tuesday | white light on wednesday | smart school house | lady behind the curtain | snap | not just a housewife | the winthrop chronicles | the blackberry vine | twin dragonfly designs | homemade ginger | nap-time creations | kitchen meets girl | someday crafts | home coming | the crafty blog stalker | gingerly made | made in a day | shaken together life | just us four | nap time crafters | kitchen fun with my three sons | too much time on my hands | cheerios and lattes | flamingo toes | momnivore's dilemma |

I was featured :)

      




10 comments:

  1. Wow! I LOVE that mantle. I've always wanted a mantle to decorate, but I don't have a fireplace so this is the perfect solution!! So smart. I'm hosting a pillow cover giveaway that you should enter. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/michelle-dwight-designs-pillow-cover.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll definitely stop by for the giveaway - thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  2. I looove michelle's look, so I looove this too. spot on, and great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted you to know that I loved this so much, I featured it on The DIY'ers today! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-diyers-39.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! All it needs now is some neatly stacked birch logs! We just moved into a new builder grade house...no fireplace :( I have been trying to convince my husband that we should do this. Maybe if I show him this he wont think im crazy anymore. Found you from the diy show off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by... definitely work on him. It's added so much character to our formal living room. I am so glad we put it in!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Gingerly Made's Show & Tell. You've been featured today! http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/11/show-tell-features_26.html

    ReplyDelete