Thursday, December 13, 2012

Before & After | Black Painted Railings

As promised, our very first before and after from the new house. It's not much but it's better than nada.


When we first moved into the house, the floors were an oak laminate and the banister matched. As we changed the floors over to maple hardwood, the banister looked hideous. So… we made the decision to paint it out - sorry to all you oak lovers!


At first, we thought we may be able to sand down the large spindles and rail and re-stain it to match the floors and take the rest of the spindles and paint them white. But, the more we looked at, the more we realized how much work it would be and it may not even work out. So… after about a week of searching and debating, I said… it's going black:


And man are we happy we did it. It looks awesome! I may not have huge confidence in my design skills but maybe I should start. It looks rich, it matches well, it's WAY BETTER than the oak and it will stay clean (something white wouldn't offer).

I can finally say I love the foyer and entrance. Okay, I lied. While we may have the lights, paint and floors switched, we still need to change out the closet and garage doors.

In the far future, I would love to see a solid glass back door and painted wood on the walls. Like so:

pinterest.

And, perhaps we could change out the glass in the front door… I despise the frosted rippled stuff that is there now. Anyways, that's it… that's my first reveal. Let me know what you think… is black better than oak?






P.S. I apologize for the poor pictures... I really need to take more time on those. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment