Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chickpea Cookies | Recipe

(I apologize for the weird recipes lately...)




You read that right - chickpea cookies. What can I say. I may have gone crazy and I think it's only going to get worse. I'm on a mission to cut the garbage from our life. We haven't really shopped in the "middle aisles" of the grocery store for as long as I can remember. We might get the odd thing.... But chips, cookies, crackers... Manufactured garbage does not come home with us.

Don't get me wrong... We eat 80/20. I don't think a lifestyle of clean eating should be punished... We still enjoy "junk" food once in a while. Truth is though, after cleaning up our eating, the old stuff doesn't taste the same and actually has made us sick to our stomach... Even white baby potatoes had us in agony one night and we haven't had them since!

I'm now addicted to finding healthier ways around the foods we love or just making them from scratch so we know there are no crazy additives to give them a never ending shelf life. The hubs has been all for it and a pretty good sport... He just insists that Little P gets to try the "regular" stuff as a child. (Agreed - in small doses).

For example, last nights dinner:




Smoked Maple Salmon, Kale Salad and Zucchini Noodles. It was delicious and the husband loved it all... Actually more than I thought... I was convinced he'd hate the noodles.

Anyways, back to the cookies. Don't knock 'em until you try 'em.




Peanut Butter Chocolate Chickpea Cookies
(makes 16 cookies | source)

1 540mL can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp natural peanut butter (room temperature)
1/4 cup maple syrup (honey works as well)
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch sea salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips in a food processor (I don't have one so I used a blender - a little harder but just make sure all of the chunks are well blended). Stir in chocolate chips. Wet hands and form 1 1/2" balls - the "dough" will be very sticky. Place cookies on parchment paper lined baking sheet and press down to form cookie shape if desired. Bake for 10 minutes. The cookies will be super soft - this is okay!

These are absolutely delicious right out of the oven - I mean melt in your mouth goodness! The hubs preferred them after they were cooled in the fridge. Try them both ways! I think I will warm them up when I eat them as a snack - microwave for 30 sec?

Anyways, I'm already thinking about trying other variations - PB2 Peanut Butter to cut the calories, PB2 Chocolate Peanut Butter to make a double chocolate cookie... and of course you could always change up the chocolate chips for different flavours or dark chocolate! Follow me on Instagram and I'll keep you posted!


And just because... Here's how I made the zucchini noodles.




Zucchini Noodles aka Zoodles
(serves 1 - 2)

2 - 3 small zucchinis
1 pot of water

Use a mandolin or grater to create noodles. This was so easy and quick - I was impressed. Next boil a pot of water large enough to fit noodles. Once boiled, place noodles in water for 1 - 4 minutes, depending on desired tenderness.

That's it! Our first time trying them I added grated mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, pink himalayan salt and fresh cracked pepper. The hubs said next time we should try them without the cheese - he liked them that much! We're also thinking cucumber noodles would make a great summer "pasta" salad!

That's it for today... I'm off to find more recipes to try out!





(another apology for the not so great images... blame the iphone).


No comments:

Post a Comment