Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Help! Where Should I Put These?

I need your help. With these.


paintings by dawn snell.


A couple of weekends back, my mom invited us over for din din, and let's just say I left with more than a full belly (full of lots of yummy stuff). I kind of snuck into the basement and rummaged through some paintings my grandma had painted - yes my grandma was an artist and it's kind of weird when I go to someone's house and her paintings are all hanging there cool on their wall and I'm like "my grandma painted that". Okay, so that's happened like twice in my life... but I was proud!

Actually, I'm kind of envious of her talent... and her art... and the places her art has been. (Darn art that left me behind.) Anyways, since she passed away a while back, I'm kind of sad I never got to learn from her. (you can't see it but my bottom lip just stuck out realllllllly far!) Enough shenanigans... here's what I scored:


the cat by dawn snell.


I call it the cat painting. When I was little... like 8 years old... my grandma took me down the hallway in her house and said I could pick any painting. The walls were filled. I remember her telling me the stories behind them and I ended up choosing this one. I really don't remember the actual name of it or the story but I've always loved it! From here on in we will call it: the cat who ate everything? Okay, just kidding.


lyn bicentennial by dawn snell.


When I brought this one up from the basement and begged to take it home, my mom told me it was painted for the Lyn, Ont. Bicentennial... whatever that is? Someone local want to fill me in? Anyways, I remember this painting growing up as a child and was ecstatic to see it tucked away in the basement.


a bird and owl painting by dawn snell.


And then their was the owl and the bird. The End. Because really I don't have a story for them and just thought they were pretty cool. So I took 'em. 

That's it for now. There were more but a child shouldn't be so greedy! Your turn. What kind of room would work for each? I'm listening... we have an unbearable amount of empty walls that need to be filled. Fill 'em up!


In other news...

I spent the day dreaming of a store I want to open. 

It would have at least one brick wall and wood floors, big glass windows at the front. I would showcase all of my soon to be lovely products (I'm working on a new decor one... or two) and products from local artists and hand crafters. I would call it... Well I'm not sure I should say. 

1. Because you might steal my ingenious idea. Right. And. 

2. The more I think of the name the more I debate the fact that it may be dorky. 

Welcome to the nerdy world of me. Did you know I probably have about 10 business ideas or more tucked up in that brain of mine. Is that normal? Or is it from the lack of use of creativity that seems to be bursting at the seems... Brain, why you no shut off? 

Cheers.



4 comments:

  1. Your grandmas was an amazing artist! Her work is both beautiful and whimsical. I love every one of those to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, eh? I was pretty excited when I found them and realized they would fit in with modern decor perfectly!

      Delete
  2. The Lyn Bicentennial was a anniversary celebration, and F Dawn Snell is my great Aunt on my grandmother's side...I knew her well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you most likely know my mom then! She was fostered by the Snells after both of her parents passed away.

      Delete